Monday, September 17, 2012

Kristen's quilt




This quilt really had quite the evolution. I got the idea for the color scheme from the book Sunday Morning Quilts (which my husband saw me eyeing and ordered for me as a surprise). One of the projects in the book is called Splash which is primarily aqua with one orange block all slab pieced together. I loved to color combo and decided to start collecting shades of orange and aqua and as I collected I thought they went nicely with some lime green I already had. 


Once I got my fabrics collected I wasn't too sure if the pattern from the book would really work with what I had. The whole book is really meant for scraps and I had a few half yard cuts. So I went looking for another pattern. I found one in Quilt Magazine from August/September 2011 called In and Out. It was simple and perfect for bright colors and prints. 


As I was working on this quilt my sister Kristen fell in love with it and seeing as how she was the only sister at the time who didn't have a quilt made for her (not counting my sister-in-law which I am working on) I had to give it to her. And it really only made sense because these are her colors for the world.  


I had to add the big lime green border around it to make it a full size for her bed but I think it makes a nice frame for the patchwork. I quilted it with orange thread and bound it with an orange batik. This was also the first quilt I quilted on my new Babylock Jane and it quilted like a dream. It was so easy to fit the full size quilt under the throat of the machine that it felt like I was doing a lap size. 


I had a blast making this quilt, I finished it all in July and it proved to be a super fun summer project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment