Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bringing a little color to the laundry room


Like many people my age, I live in an apartment. I was thinking about it the other day and I have lived in either an apartment or a dorm for the past 8 years. The last time I lived in a house was my parent's house which feels like yesterday.

Anyways, living in an apartment or small home you run into some space issues. I have a love hate relationship with this, it forces you to get rid of things you don't need or keep from buying things you don't need but it makes it hard to store things you do need. 

One thing I always wanted in an apartment is space in my "laundry room" (really closet instead of room) for a trash can. So, being the genius that I am, I came up with one, I hung a plastic grocery bag on a clothes hanger from my hanging rack. I don't have a picture of this but I think you can get a mental image, it was tacky. I did that for a while then I broke down a few weeks ago and made something a bit prettier. 


 I started with a simple bag, about the size of a grocery bag, with boxed corners. I lined it, made some small button holes and used drapery hooks I had lying around to attach them to my shelf.

Here is a close up of my button hole with the drapery hook. 

I ended up making a smaller one too for my lingerie bags and small bottle of spot remover. I think they look great, and they took me maybe 30 minutes start to finish. I have a feeling I may be making some more for other areas of the house that need some storage. 



No comments:

Post a Comment